In a closed door conference at gamescom, Treyarch gave a lot of details on the upcoming Black Ops 2, from the new leveling system, to the new score streak system, and also revealing the full weapons and perks list. Interested? Yeah you are, because Treyarch’s really changing the game up. Hit the jump for all the details.
Leveling Up & Unlocking Items
First off, the traditional Call of Duty points system has been done away with for a simpler prestige-based leveling system. Medals have made a comeback, but players can still earn bonus XP for certain achievements, which are repeatable. Instead of points, players will level up through 55 levels and 10 prestige ranks. Each level up will grant the player a token, which they can then use to unlock an item. There are over 100 items and because they’re locked by level, you’ll have to prestige all 10 times to unlock everything. In the new system, you’ll have to choose from a range of options at your current level and choose the items that best suit your playing style.
Unlockable items range from score streaks (the new killstreaks) to weapons and equipment.
Killstreaks are gone, score streaks are here to stay.
In addition to a new leveling system, score streaks have replaced the usual killstreaks, granting players with high scores with awesome perks. Score streaks will award bonuses for completing objectives and racking up kills. So although killing adds to your streak meter, completing objectives, grabbing flags and defending your team mates will increase the meter faster. Bonuses that can be unlocked with score streaks include the RX-XD, UAV, VTOL Warship, Lodestar and X9 Unit. There are also some pretty badass ones too:
- The Guardian: A Humvee-powered unit that exists in real life, is great for objective play modes, and can beat back the crowd with microwaves.
- AGR: A small tank unit that, as usual, is placed with a smoke grenade. However this tank can break out of the crate itself, rather than having you risk your life to get the package (and risk an opponent from taking it). It can go on a rampage on it’s own, or players can annihilate their enemies themselves by holding X to control it.
- Hellstorm Missle: This is actually much like a Predator missile, except that it can be detonated in air, producing a cluster-bomb effect.
- Escort Drone: This aircraft shouts intel, including score streak updates, and kills enemies.
Treyarch has noted that these score streak items aren’t invincible, and that even an EMP grenade can take down the tech.
The Official Perks & Weapons List, Plus Details Creating A Class
Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia detailed Black Ops 2’s new create a class system, nicknamed “Pick 10.” Players are able to choose up to 10 items to make a class, even going as far as sacrificing their primary weapon for a perk. As VG24/7 put it:
“Fancy three perks and three score streak rewards in your class? That’ll be six of you ten points. Want a shotgun with reduced recoil and a sight? That’ll be three points. It’s entirely up to you how you tailor your load-out.”
You can also spend points on a Wildcard, which will allow you to “bend the rules slightly,” and can, for example, get you a third attachment on your assault rifle, a second perk from one of the three perk tiers, and even allow you to fine tune the fire mode of your weapon, such as changing the Type-25 from fully automatic, to burst, to single shot.
And you can’t unlock everything at one time, either. Leveling up will get you one token and the ability to unlock seven new pieces of equipment. Prestiging, however, will eventually unlock everything. Here’s VG24/7’s unofficial gun list & official perk list:
- Type 25
- R-870 MCS
- QBB LSW
- Mk 48
- DSR 50
- Chicom CQB
- Skorpio EVO III
- Assault Shield (Metal riot shield that can be planted into the ground as makeshift cover)
- FHJ-18 AA (Vehicle lock-on, two rockets)
- Combat axe
- Bouncing Betty
- Reflex sight
- ACOG sight
- Target Finder (Paints red squares around hostiles)
- Hybrid Optic
- Fast Mag
- Fore Grip
- Laser Sight
- Adjustable Stock
- Millimetre Scanner
- Grenade Launcher
- Select Fire Mode
- FMJ Rounds
- Extended Clip
- Black Hat PDA (Get close to enemy equipment and point this data pad at it to hack it and turn it against enemies. Takes ages to hack though!)
- Smoke grenade
- Sensor grenade
- Concussion grenade
- Shock charge (a throwable stick that emits an electric shock across a surface, rooting targets to the spot)
- Tactical Insertion
Wildcards (Bend the rules of the ‘Pick 10′ system slightly)
- Perk 1 Greed (Lets you choose a second perk from tier 1)
- Perk 2 Greed
- Perk 3 Greed
- Primary Gunfighter
- Secondary Gunfighter
- Danger Close
Perks (Note: Perks can no longer go pro)
- Ghost (Now only hides you from UAVs when you are moving)
- Flak Jacket
- Blind Eye
- Cold Blooded
- Hard Wired
- Fast Hands
- Dead Silence
- Tactical Mask
- Extreme Conditioning
In-Game Livestreaming & Shoutcasting
Treyarch has also brought livestreaming and Shoutcasting options into the game, allowing others to listen to game commentary and watch the live gameplay. How does it work? Two players serve as Shoutcasters, aka commentators, for a multiplayer match. The games can be Shoutcasted live or added to footage saved in Theater mode. Delayed livestreams can also be activated, feeding the livestream to a web browser, for PC, Mac and mobile users to watch.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is slated for a November 13 release on PS3, PC and 360.